Wednesday, August 7, 2019

To Wear or Not To Wear

Let me think, how shall I approach today's rant subject. Perhaps I should first advance a few disclaimers: 1) I am not a fashion expert, 2) I am not a chauvinist, 3) I am not a prude and 4) I do have a preference regarding the matter.

Okay here's the 'matter.' Maternity tops...to wear or not to wear that is the question. I am on record as one who openly preaches that mothers are mankind's greatest gift and it begins with the incredible personal sacrifice made by every woman who experienced the pregnancy journey. It cannot be a walk in the park to grow new life in your body for nine months undergoing the drastic physical changes with its accompanying pain and discomfort.

Showing my 80-years and conservative upbringing, I expect pregnant women to wear maternity tops, which seem comfortable, fashionable and discreet. (Discreet as in modest.) And on this latter point, I cannot nor would not attempt to defend that judgment or opinion. Therefore, I yield to the readers, this morning to weigh-in with thoughts on two questions: First: Has women's attitudes regarding the public display of the pregnant body changed? Secondly: Is there a different attitude regarding a man's view on the issue versus that of a woman's view?

A personal note for background information. I am the oldest of three sons in my family. My brother Tom is four and a half years my junior and I am fifteen years older than younger brother Marty. I was a teenager when my mother was very pregnant with Marty. She and my father were very handsome people and out in the public at many of my summer league baseball games. I was incredibly proud of my mother during that summer...she was beautiful. I offer that because most teen boys showed very different feelings about their expecting mothers.

Now, your view and opinion...maternity tops or showy-growing belly?

No comments:

Post a Comment