Thursday, February 18, 2016

A Birthday Reflection

On this date seventy-seven years ago, my mother gave me life. Over the years, I came to realize that she was my greatest earthly gift while my father would be my greatest mentor. I was fortunate to have  in my journey brothers Tom and Marty. Tom became a true supporter and trusted friend in my efforts and Marty allowed me a special nurturing opportunity of a sibling 16 years my junior.

My youth was anchored by an extended family of grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. I always had a sense of being loved but not worshiped. I married a good girl who was a product of a fun-loving family. I met that girl when I was 14 and she was but 13; that history is special. Our marriage some 55+ years ago resulted in three loving children who enjoy happiness shared by terrific spouses.
Fifteen grandchildren and two great-grandchildren permit my wife and I to truly embrace God's love and life's longing for itself.

As a young boy, I was blessed with some athletic talent. I was helped along the way by many coaches. That young athletic-life afforded me an education and set me upon a career path that remains viable this day.

I was permitted to live a life doing that which I wanted to do and 'feel' joy in the opportunity to serve others. I have said many times that I was blessed with three children but a thirty-nine year coaching career allows me to 'count' many as my boys and there's a few stat girls who remain special. Along the journey some special friendships were developed, which enriched my life.

As in the case with us all, I know not the amount of time that remains in my personal journey. I will continue to do as much as I can and look for chances to serve others. To borrow a quote from the late Jack Buck, "If I should be so fortunate to meet my maker, I will ask Him; Why were you so good to me?"

No comments:

Post a Comment