Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Not Smart

They were serious! 'Pairing wine to Girl Scout Cookies.' Last Friday morning while reading the newspaper and sipping coffee, I looked up from my reading to watch a Today Show segment. There Tamron Hall, Natalie Morales, Savanah Guthrie, Willie Geist and Al Roker were each holding a glass of wine and delicately 'dunking' Girl Scout cookies into their drinks.

After a little research, I discovered that there are endless articles written on this 'alcohol-girl scout cookies pairing' Perhaps I am naive. God only knows that I am not a  prude. Nevertheless, I am left wondering if some Girl Scouts with a little bit of imagination just might get into the old man's wine-cabinet and tear open a box of 'Do-si-dos' at the next slumber-party-sleepover?

Many parents do their children a great disservice while some parents have their head so far up their derrière they could count the polyps. Point>> the years I was a high school athletic director, I made sure that all athletes, coaches and parents were aware of the athletic code of conduct, which spoke to alcohol consumption and punitive consequences if violated.

One year just before the school's Homecoming, I intercepted a well designed invitation from a group of parents that profiled a post Homecoming party for students at a specific residence. The note went on to explain that alcohol would be permitted but the students must surrender their automobile keys and spend the night.

As some readers digest this blog they are thinking, well what's wrong with that scenario. Those parents are making sure no student drinking will get injured or killed. And I say to you what I said to those dumb-ass parents, 'you are circumventing the athletic-code-contract between athletes/parents and the school. You are also breaking the law providing alcohol to minors.'

No comments:

Post a Comment