Wednesday, February 10, 2016

It's No Secret

As a parent, I had definite expectations of my three children. I expected them to be well-mannered showing respect to others and particularly to elders. No alcohol, cigarettes or drugs was preached to them. Curfews and taking care of school business was a priority. When each kid turned sixteen they were expected to have summer jobs. I would be delighted to underwrite four-years of college but not one day at 'spring break.'

Whereas my children were not without fault and had a few bumps along the way, they were good kids at home and turned out to be terrific adults.

As a grandparent, I take a much different approach. Since I am not responsible for shaping their behavior, I need not bother myself establishing expectations...that's their parents' job. However, I do have a responsibility with those fifteen grandchildren and here's what it is in simple terms: I must constantly remind each how they can achieve 'happiness.' Therefore, I preach the following: Make sure your 'work' is your passion because you will be doing it for forty years. Secondly, make the opportunity to find ways to 'serve' others during life's journey. These two living-objectives insures 'happiness.'

I believe that if a person loves their vocation and can help someone as they pass along the way then they will have lived gloriously.

I know my three kids believe THAT...now working on the fifteen grandkids.

No comments:

Post a Comment