Friday, March 6, 2020

I Wish For Them

Preparing to head back North to Illinois after a two month Florida 'winter' hiatus, I thought about the coming summer months...always my favorite season. As I recall vividly those carefree long summer days of my youth, I have noted that my grandchildren's generation seemingly functions with a different modus operandi and consequently they experience a much darker and different youth. I observe today's youth less carefree and more anxious; I read reports of more young people medicated for anxiety and depression and I sadly learn recently that the youth suicide rate increased 56% over the past decade. What has happened to 'carefree youth days?' This summer, I will notice empty sandlots, unmarked sidewalks and quiet evenings absence of  young voices calling out others.

I read magazine articles documenting facts underscoring the current state of medicated youth who are embroiled in growing anxiety and depression. Today's youth unlike any before them are constantly exposed to mass media negative news. Our youth is exposed far too early to the adult world of harsh reality and sexuality issues. These kids spend too much time indoors embracing an unhealthy sedentary life style as they imprison themselves with a fear of social engagement. Many fear harm at school and feel they don't fit in with peers. Now we add to these fears an uncertainty about communicable diseases and our nation's readiness.

Make no mistake, young and old alike have reason to have great concerns about economic security, taking on debt, acts of senseless violence and the future of our planet. However, we must not allow fears of that which is out of our control to poison the joys, which await those who would dare dream of exploring personal qualities, embracing family, sharing love, seeking happiness and serving those with needs.

I am convinced that life's challenges and hurdles are greater in our minds than in reality.


No comments:

Post a Comment