Friday, November 8, 2019

Hope Your Holidays Are Joyful

The 2019, Holiday Seasons are fast approaching. As I ponder my 80th Thanksgiving and Christmas, I cannot help but think of the many changes, which have occurred around those 'seasons.'

As a child, I was tethered to that famous trek to grandmother's house for a grand Thanksgiving feast after attending the traditional football game between my East St. Louis Flyers and those Maroons of Belleville Township High. A few years later I would be attending the post game Football Dance with the girl,who would one day be my wife. During adult coaching years, my Thanksgiving celebrations would become second to basketball tournament demands.

The Christmas gatherings were always locked-in around the Old Folks at home. We were expected to make the effort and trip to 'go home' to the Metro East area. We never failed to answer the call and consequently our grown children have precious memories of grandparents. Again, the basketball coaching dictated time spent.

These retirement years find role changes. I can say with certainty that my wife and I do not place expectations on our married children to "come home." Oh, we love having children and grandchildren sharing anytime and all the time, yet we let each family set their own agendas.

It's interesting and noteworthy that our kids and grandkids MAKE It HOME for one or both seasons. Perhaps it's learn behavior.
We are blessed and we are Thankful in every season.

No comments:

Post a Comment