Sunday, November 10, 2019

What Deals for the Oldsters!

In my younger days, I wondered what it meant when folks would speak of the 'Golden Years.' I've finally figured it out. These retirement-senior years are referenced as 'Golden' because of the plethora of 'senior citizen discounts.'

Why, I often hit the road early morning on some errand and the first place I stop is McDonald's for my .64 cents 'senior coffee.' Those Golden Arch folks give me a coupon that entices me to return for lunch when I can get a 'two-for-one' sandwich deal. There are numerous other restaurants, which offer a variety of early bird specials along with drink discounts during Happy Hours. If I took them up on all happy hour specials, I'd be attending a weekly AA meeting.

My Sports Clips' gals have a 'Senior discount' and often times upgrade haircuts to their MVP deal. And mercy, where do I begin to tell you how Kohl's Department Store entices me to shop their crowded aisles? Honestly, my wife and I shopped the local Hickory Point Mall just a few days ago and purchased several clothing and household items at Kohl's using a 30% off discount coupon. Driving home, my wife was reading the receipt and discovered we spent $91.00... the good news? We saved $147.00! AND...on top of that we got a $20.00 Monopoly money cash back coupon. I'm thinking if we shopped  Kohl's more often, we could 'make' money.

These senior discounts and coupon perks are going to have a financial trickle-down effect on our children...our kids are going to inherit more bucks and besides that, their mother recently purchased    backyard garden decorations, which our kids will cherish. It was one of those AARP discounted 'buy two get a third free.' She bought three sets of Pink Flamingo statuettes. Her logic? "When we die the kids will each have inherited a Flamingo.

Gotta go...McDonald's coffee time!

No comments:

Post a Comment