Monday, December 16, 2019

"A New Commandment I Give You..."

I suppose my wife is like millions of American women who enjoys the Hallmark Channel, which airs endless television Christmas love stories. She can lock into a marathon of those back-to-back chick-flicks. Occasionally, I watch the first three minutes of a Hallmark Channel Christmas movie just to irritate her with my sarcastic tongue-in check comments, i.e., "Oh boy, lots of snow, bet there's gunna be a snowball fight." Or "The brunette is my pick for the girl the fella's gunna choose." At some point, my wife quickly suggests (among other things) that I leave the room.

My wife is unlike many viewers who threatened to boycott Hallmark over the Zola wedding planner ad recently aired on the Hallmark Channel, which depicted two lesbians kissing after their wedding.

Go figure, eh? These far right conservative-Evangelical folks are the same people who fail to connect the dots of two parents named (Joseph and Mary) who fled their village with son, Jesus seeking refuge from violence to the (foreign) parents seeking refuge and safety at our Southwest borders. Personally, as a grandparent, I'm not bothered one iota by my grandkids seeing two lesbians or two gay men kissing. Nope, not as much as I am by the reality that my grandkids and great-grandkids must practice 'active-shooter-drills' periodically because it may save their lives between recess and lunch at their elementary school. Yet the same conservative-Evangelicals who get in a dither about sex don't give two-hoots about children in harms way in a society, which is permissive with automatic weapons ownership.

Seems anymore if you're not 'white and straight, you're subject to hate.'

..."Love one another as I have loved you." And..."Whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

No comments:

Post a Comment