Thursday, December 19, 2019

Random..."moments to remember."

In 1955, the Four Lads singing group released what would become a top hit song laced with nostalgia
recollections. The song lyrics enumerated a list of happy times labeled as "Moments to Remember." I suppose most adults can harken back to those high school days, which indeed render the sweet and perhaps bitter-sweet times of carefree teenage years.

I believe "moments to remember" don't end with our teen journey but continue throughout our lives. Many stapled-moments certainly continued for this writer and I gladly share some with you today as I offer each as a perceived blessing. Please know that my 'moments to remember' are both sweet and tender as well as sad and heart wrenching. Nonetheless, these moments have gripped my heart, shaped my journey and strengthened my walk with Christ. Speaking of Christ, I remember the revival meeting and the preacher the night I answered an alter call and committed my life to God; I was 12-years old.

 I remember that sweet shared kiss after exchanged "I Do's," which culminated a seven year courtship with my now wife of 59-years. That remembered-moment is a springboard to a plethora of many cherished moments-to-remember... The birth of three children remain vivid as my anxiousness evaporated knowing a healthy child entered my world of responsibilities. There is no moment that offers a keener sense of a Creator/God than that midnight hour moment while pressing a crying baby against my chest while rocking it to sleep.

 Oh my, I recall that moment my wife and I left a child on a college campus and drove away with tears. I was torn inside with mixed emotions with the knowledge that the parent-child relationship journey in that moment changed forever. As life continues to long for itself, I recall many moments of joy in the accomplishments of my children, their moments of wedding celebrations and the joys of grand-children and great grand-children and their experiences.

I remember heart-gripping family death-vigil moments as my wife and I held the hands of parents and grandparents who slowly slipped away from their respective earthly journeys. Those were perhaps the most reflective hours in my personal journey. Those quiet and sober moments conjured up endless joys, blueprints for living and the reality loss.

I have a post it at my bedside, which I read every morning. It reads: 'Today offers a chance to make ouch a life and make a memory.' You also have the same daily offer.


No comments:

Post a Comment