Sunday, December 22, 2019

A Spirit Bruised but Not Broken

I pen these thoughts with two-fold reasoning: First, as an opportunity to cleanse my mind entering the New Year as I admit that I have guilt; secondly, I share the thoughts for your judgment of this writer or your personal examination, as you wish.

Each day, I read the news, listen to the national discourse and consider the pundints' analysis only to be left in a fog of societal divisiveness, bitter finger pointing and a greater separation from human decency and the teachings of Jesus Christ.

I am a product of a youth that feared an imaginary boogieman. Today, my grandchildren face real evil at every turn. Youngsters cannot ride bicycles across town and spend endless hours with friends. Their school fire drills may be familiar to years ago as they practice orderly escape routes but these drills are not to be confused with 'active shooter' drills, which are more likely to be used. Too often  mass shooting stories lead the evening news. I am saddened.

Many days find us watching television and praying for those in the path of some natural disaster, i.e.  Floods, fires, tornadoes, hurricanes or earthquakes. Often times, our people lose sight of rescue assistance for the needy but instead become entangled in some angry attack of a government leaders. I personally feel frustration attempting to process and apply my professed Christian principles against the secular debate for action. I carry guilt regarding the landscape that will be inherited by my grandchildren and great grandchildren.

I have fallen victim to more close-mindedness and the self-serving desire to 'be right' rather than 'getting it right.' I often wonder if that comes with senior-intolerance or perhaps my allowing immature blaming of others to invade my once anchored Christian beliefs in goodness towards all at all times, in all circumstances.

I must re-think. I must remind myself at the dawn of each new day that I can stand for something without vilifying those who stand against me and go forth each day and live in a manner to exemplify that goodness, which I seemingly have ignored. My spirit is bruised but my resolve must keep it unbroken.

No comments:

Post a Comment