Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Call'em Like Ya See'em

"Hot Damn!" That was a slang expression often used by maternal grandfather, E.V. Bennett; I seldom use it.

Perhaps it is an observation or then maybe a self-discovery...

At age seventy-four,  I am  less the participant but instead more of a spectator. I  am not positive when these diametric forces settled this matter but, as today's youngsters like to say, "It is what it is." Birthday markers along my personal journey noted some changing participation roles. At age six it was time to become and 'play' the part of a first grade school boy. At age 13, I was the teenager dealing with peer pressure demands of all sort; clothes I needed to wear and silly social games I must play. The United States government wanted to make my acquaintance when I turned 18 years old.  Uncle Sam expected me to register for the draft so they might add my name to a possible (future) 'club membership.' Each of the aforementioned age  statuses beg the question for active participation. Moreover, age twenty-one was at my doorstep sooner than I could say,  'Jackie Robinson.' At twenty-one, I thought I should participate in that traditional activity called, marriage. I did just that and brother that created all-kinds of activity participation. However, that is exactly what has culminated in my current status of S P E C T A T O R.

At seventy-four, my children and grandchildren now telephone my wife to tell her where and when I should show up as a spectator. Interestingly, this spectator role only requires me to say, "Okie Dokie! Being a spectator ain't all that bad; no more worrying about personal accomplishments or meeting performance standards.

I have noted as a spectator, I am for the most part ignored. I have no say in matters and I suspect that I should likely keep opinions to myself. There have been confusing messages at times. Sometimes my kin will ask an opinion but I don't think that they particularly care for that opinion if it  suggest that their kid is anything short of 'perfection.'  I spent a lifetime in sports' arenas mostly as the participant orchestrating things. Today, this spectator checks his ego at the arena door. Once in awhile, I will yell encouragement to players for whom I wish to do well; people will glance at me as if to pose the question, "Who the hell if the old grey headed fart making stupid comments?"

"Hot Damn, It is I; the spectator!"

If you have ever attended a 'dance recital, you will likely agree that this particular event-activity should definitely have a United States Supreme Court mandated  'TIME LIMIT !

No comments:

Post a Comment