Monday, April 15, 2013

Hey Good Lookin' ...

I am suspicious regarding comments on 'how good I look.' Upon seeing old-friends and associates that I have not seen for awhile, these reunion moments have someone telling me, "You look great;" I know better!

From the moment of birth when folks see the newborn they feel compelled to make assessments about 'looks.' In the case of babies, people will use words like, darling, cute or beautiful and conclude adding their opinion regarding whom the child's looks favor. Personally, I have seen a few not so cute babies but I have never shared that sentiment.

Mothers do a good job 'spit-shinning' toddlers causing them to 'look' good. When kids reach the teen years they seem to figure out from commercial ads, 'how' they are supposed to look so they might 'fit-in' with peers. One day the 'look-thing' enters some sort of contractual agreement as couples pair-off.

As years pass, the look thing appears to fluctuate. I believe women have a 'looks-setback' during those child-bearing years while the male counter-part remains somewhat stylish. Soon after having their children, women begin to 'rocket' to new 'look' heights. Coincidentally, at this point, those guys begin losing their hair and gaining prominent 'pot-bellies' from too many tailgate parties. I base these opinions from my repeated every five-year high school reunions; that's as scientific as I get.

Now, in my seventies, I am happy and thankful to be among the living and as my counterpart-seniors, we likely pay more attention these days to hygiene than we do to our 'looks.' This is due to the fact that we are constantly at the doctor's office taking our clothes off for another 'examination.' Perhaps, I may look good for my age (at times) but let's face it, I use to look better standing next to someone older than me and that pool-number is shrinking.

I recall, paternal grandmother, Rosedelle commenting while  standing next to a casket at a wake visitation saying, "He/She sure does make a beautiful corpse." No one ever took issue with grandma's statement, I suppose at times she was correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment