Thursday, April 18, 2013

Give Me Deep Anchors

 A few days ago, I read a recap of a college baseball game in which the coach of the one-run losing team was quoted saying, " A misplayed pop fly and a misjudged fly ball cost us the game." The news article and coach's comments caused me to think of my personal coaching experiences, which spanned thirty-nine years and my many opportunities to speak on a ten-year nation-wide seminar circuit that carried me to over 120 engagements from coast to coast; mostly these seminars were State athletic director's conventions and coaching clinics.

Among the myriad of suggestions and coaching tips offered to these professionals, I recall a list of 'do's and don't's' for the school mentor. I told coaching hopefuls and recall specifically telling my coaching-son that anytime the coach is being interviewed by the media, the coach would be wise to remember two very important factors. First, the sport's writer already has an idea of 'how' he wishes the storyline to read; don't play the fool and fall into his trap. Secondly, the coach should remember that his printed quotes will be read by his players' grandparents...don't be hurtful with placing blame. If you are one of those 'bottom line' people then please consider this raw-reality entwined in every athletic event: during the unfolding course of any contest a myriad of circumstances and situations will occur that could be offered as 'turning points' causing a win or lose.; it just happens that those events seemed magnified near the close of a game.

The years that I was a varsity (head) coach, I conducted pre-season players' seminars every year. I outlined and discussed how every player should posture himself when being interviewed by the press; never blame nor complain and be free with praise for others...this was our theme and it became the responsibility of players and coaches to carryout this approach; non-negotiable!

Now, what is said amongst players and coaches in closed practices might be a tad different; that's a family thing!
Speaking of 'family,' my father is responsible for some of my 'coaching philosophies.' He was big on simple fundamental-anchors of behavior. Not only did he often caution me NOT to "let your mouth overload your ass," he also was quick to tell me never to embarrass his ass with stupid statements from my lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment