Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Where Art Thou Sanity?

It's NUTS out there! I am beginning to look at my backyard as perhaps the outer limits of my adventures. Please consider these recent events: Just this week, an Arkansas town, population 1300, passed a town ordinance requiring all citizens to own a gun.' Immediately, upon passage, they town council said that the ordinance would not be enforced. Huh?

A Colorado prison warden was murdered at the front door of his home when he opened the door. One week later a Texas District Attorney and his wife were slaughtered in their home; some six months after the DA's assistant district attorney was shot to death in his work place parking lot. Two nights ago, a Seattle night club closed at 2 AM and a confrontation erupted in the nearby parking lot amongst patrons. When the dust settle in Seattle, police reported three dead from guns shots and fourth in critical condition. All this crap is happening in upscale neighborhoods while Mexican drug cartels entrench their operations deeper in our American cities. Meanwhile, Congress and the Supreme Court debate the 'definition of legal marriage.'

If I dare look to my television for some escape and diversion from this societal madness, I must choose Fox News, which is singular in theme day-in and day-out; it's President Obama's fault or turn to MSNBC who plays the broken record, "The Republicans are obstructionists!"  I could look to 'other' TV programing , i.e., Reality TV or sports. If I select sports, I can work on ignoring over-paid, self-centered athletes butchering the "King's English' in post-game interviews.

I fear for my grandchildren who grow up believing "Real Housewives of New Jersey, Survivor and 'The Bachelor' are truly 'REAL.'
Actual 'realities of life' are found in stopped up toilets, infants with 103 temperatures at 3 AM, making the house and car payments on time and wondering if the boy your sixteen year-old daughter is dating respects women.

Oh, those television shows 'Fear Factor' and 'Survivor' are silly. If you wish to understand fear and surviving, ride the afternoon route with school bus drivers in inner city Chicago, Peoria and Philadelphia. Folks, I am putting together my new backyard swing this weekend and disconnecting the television..

Ps. I may be away from this typing machine for a   spell. I am headed to the doctors office this morning

No comments:

Post a Comment