Monday, May 13, 2013

Advice in Waiting for the Grandkids

I am a regular 'reader' of family psychologists, John Rosemond's syndicated column. In his most recent posting, he makes the claim that children of the 1950's were happier and more obedient than today's counterpart. Rosemond admits that he is often accused of being a 'Golden Age Thinker' who 'idealizes' the 1950's. To his critics dismay, Rosemond can and will statistically verify his position through research findings and conclusions.

Following is a overview account of Rosemond's comparatives between the '50's parented-family and the family structure noted today:

Back then, my parents paid the bills and purchased the family needs. They did not ask me if I thought it was time to come-in for the evening, put away play things and go to bed after my bath; I was told that was immediate objectives on the agenda...go do it. Today's parents still 'pay-the-way' but at most every turn they invite their children to endorse parent choices. How screwed up is THAT! My folks must have thought that I had a high IQ because they only told me to do things ONE TIME. We 1950's kids figured out damn quick that our school work was OUR work because mom and dad expected us to pay attention and behave at school while the teachers DID their job; teaching us. Today's parents assume the homework-pressure alongside their child as if it is the Eleventh Commandment.

Kids of the 1950 generation understood that their Mother and Father loved them, however they got strong indications that Mom and Dad loved one another even more than the kids. Fifties kids left home as soon as they could because, as Rosemond states, "They were likely to make a better life for themselves than their parents were willing to attempt." How healthy is that notion?!

Well, I cut the Rosemond article out of the paper with the intention of making copies and sending to my three married children...but then an epiphany: Ah Ha, hell, it's too late for my kids to parent in this fashion. Instead of making three copies, I made 15 copies of Rosemond's article and mailed a copy to each of my grandchildren with a note on the envelope: "Open this on your wedding day and read aloud to you intended and I promise you that your children (yet born) will be HAPPY and you will also!

 A guarantee from someone who loves you but does not worship you.

No comments:

Post a Comment