Thursday, May 9, 2013

Man's Greatest Gift

This Sunday will mark the first time in seventy-four years that I have no earthly Mom with whom to celebrate Mother's Day. Please don't misinterpret my comment as complaining or suggesting 'poor-Mel.' This is not the intention. Actually, I feel overly blessed when measuring time and experiences spent with my parents. even though my Father died 19 years ago this May 27, I count infinite blessings around the precious times we shared. Moreover, my many years spent with my Mother was provided by her longevity, which comes from the Bennett Clan; she has been gone nearly five months and of course, I miss our conversations.

Given the fact that Mother's Day is the busiest day of the year for restaurants, I asked my wife if she'd like to join the masses and dine out as we celebrate the day. She declined my invitation and opted for me to cook and that's all good with me. I have been in the kitchen much this past winter/spring as I picked up a new hobby; gourmet dish making as in call me, Chef Mode.' My Mother's Day menu shall include the following: Cauliflower soup, spinach-mango salad, asparagus and grilled fillet-steak and scallops. About a year ago, I had no idea the number of spices one could buy from the grocery store; I now own sixty percent of those aromatic plant-products!

Before my wife and I indulge the Mother's Day meal, I will offer my prayer of 'Grace-Thanksgiving.' I shall be mindful of the special mother images in my life. Of course my birthing Mother is forever seared in my heart and mind. However, I will reflect on my maternal and paternal grandmothers who indeed had their unique impact on my early life and I will recall my wife's mother and think of the ways she sacrificed for her large family. Finally, I will give 'praise' for two daughters and a daughter in-law who embrace the hands  -on mother challenges today. I will give God praise and beseech His blessings on all the Mothers of this world.

I hope all who read these words will either share a conversation with their mother this weekend or close your eyes, as will I and embrace precious memories of Mother. I have spoken the following words hundreds of times over the years to thousands of people; some times at clinics where I was speaking and many times over the radio airways the many years I conducted my radio programs:

Man's greatest gift is his MOTHER.

No comments:

Post a Comment