Thursday, May 30, 2013

It's a Moral Responsibility

The American Red Cross, March of Dimes, United Way, UNICEF, Goodwill, Salvation Army, American Legion, Lions Club International, Military of Purple Heart, Vets of Foreign Wars, Ronald McDonald House, St. Jude Research Hospital, Make a  Wish Foundation, and on and on and on!

All the aforementioned charity organization, I am sure do wonderful work and much needed service to mankind attempting to improve the human condition...I commend all. My personal dilemma is this; which should I support, should I rotate my giving because it is obvious, I cannot contribute to all needs all the time while tithing at church and giving an occasional handout to the chap who sets up camp each day at the intersection opposite Wal Mart / Sam's and Radio Shack; even if he is the lazy- drunk and doper my neighbor claims. Bottom lime, I'll run out of money before our society runs out of 'causes.'

My wife has her own method of giving; she rotates $5 buck contributions to all those organization that send those unsolicited return address stickers. We are both turned off by the telephone solicitors and usually tell them 'not this time.' Hell, anymore you never know if that fella on the opposite end of the phone line claiming to be a policeman seeking monies for the police benevolence is a local cop or some body miles away in another community or state.

I was very involved during my coaching life with the Muscular Dystrophy Association and I was for two (2) primary reasons: First,  I liked the orchestration of the Jerry Lewis MDA Telethon as it unfolded during the Labor Day Weekend, which seemed to galvanize our country around a worthy cause. Secondly, I insisted that all my high school basketball players at every grade level secure pledges for shooting free throws. Our teams, for over twenty years, raised an annual-average of $1,300.00 for the MDA. It was important to me to have 'healthy kids' capable of playing sport to be part of 'giving' to children unable to play. Let's agree that most teens today are spoiled and self-centered due to parental-pampering; this does not make them bad kids but they sure the need to step forward and be part of giving to those with less and those disadvantaged.

I suppose that I will continue some rotating my charity contributions but I gotta be honest the children being at St. Jude Research Hospital pull hard at my heart-strings.

I must keep alert to help those in need for it is that charge from my Savior's lips that haunts my mind: "That which you do for the least of my people you do also for Me.." Can I get an Amen out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment