Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Did We Not Learn Anything?

My wife and I finally found an open evening a couple nights ago and attended the movie, "42." I suspect most people, regardless of the extent of their baseball interest know the story about Jackie Robinson being the first Negro baseball player to play in the Major Leagues. That racial barrier was broken in 1947. More on the movie later but first this comment. Recently, a 'Black' National Basketball Association player named, Jason Collins disclosed to the sports' world that he is a homosexual. Many media people have stated outwardly or inferred some comparison of courage and bravery to be made between Robinson and Collins. Frankly, I don't buy it!

 I understand that Collins' admission to being 'Gay' is perhaps a bold and brave move but he could have chosen to keep the sexual  preference a private matter never disclosing his orientation. Jackie Robinson, on the other hand could hardly 'hide' or keep secret his skin color in a very racist 1947, America. Furthermore, a gay man playing in the NBA does not threaten the job security of white guys wishing to play the game at the Pro level as WAS the circumstance with Robinson in 1947. Robinson's introduction to Major League baseball sent a profound message that the talent pool was about to get very 'rich' and that was threatening to the 'White status quo.' Another differing aspect to the 1947  Robinson story versus the Collins story; the media was looking to 'stir' controversy in Robinson's 'color' barrier break whereas a 2013 more sympathetic liberal-media is inclined to be supportive of Collins' decision.

My wife and I agreed that the movie, "42" was well done and appears to be an accurate portrayal of the accounts. I overheard my wife tell another person that parts in the movie made her cry; I am certain it was the nasty comments endured by an obviously good man, Jackie Robinson. I understand my wife's sadness but what makes me more sad than what Jackie Robinson was subjected to in the year 194,7 is the crap I still observed played out by both Whites and Blacks in the year 2013. White prejudices still remains too prevalent in  our cultural fabric and far too many young Blacks behave as fools; I perceive both behavioral attitudes as being a slap in the courageous face of number "42."

No comments:

Post a Comment