Thursday, April 9, 2015

Oldsters Need Regularity

I'm somewhat a creature of habit. I am up at about 6:30AM. I shower, get dressed and go downstairs to have coffee. I post my blog, read the newspaper and check out the Today Show. Yesterday, I had a disruption in my routine. Old farts don't handle disorder / interruption well. We become confused and perplexed. Understand, we generally don't know if we are coming or going thus when things get out of order / when things are not 'in place;' it becomes chaotic.

Yesterday's disruption?...My morning newspaper was not delivered. It is a local Decatur newspaper. Back in my youth, I recall the newspaper boy walking down the East St. Louis streets late evening hawking the morning news as he called out, "PAPER, Morning Globe!" Today, modern technology allows a later news-print cycle thus more updated news come mornings. Modern technology also requires more from me when the 'paper delivery boy' forgets my stop.

I telephoned the local newspaper (Decatur) number and after punching a few keypad numbers, I am given an 800 number to telephone (Peoria, IL., which is 84 miles from my front door. I  am then required to punch- in more telephone keypad numbers telling a computer that I don't have the morning paper. The computer request that I verify my home telephone number and then my house number. Finally, an electronic voice assures me that I did good and my information has been sent somewhere.
Here's the problem...My newspaper arrives at nine o'clock and I am experiencing my morning constitution ( reading the paper ) when I am normally on the stationary bike at the fitness center. It's all screwed up!

No comments:

Post a Comment