Friday, October 25, 2019

He Awakens The Little Boy

A long-time friend of mine recently commented that he noted our three grown children and some of our grandchildren are dog owners. He went on to surmise that 'dog loving' must be a family-learned behavior. I agreed with him sighting the obvious as I suggested that children often times follow parents in many pursuits and behavior patterns. I've seen fathers and sons bond over fishing, golf, work choices and pro team fandom. Likewise, mother's and daughters many times share life long interests. That said, I do believe the adult child must find sustaining joy or they will eventually move away from those youthful exposures.

Speaking for myself and my relationship with my many dogs over my lifetime, I find it no secret what it was and is that solidifies my love for the dog. Oh sure, I enjoy those games of fetch, chase, tug-of-toys and walks. However, I came to realize many years ago that the 'deal-sealer' for me with the dog is found in those quiet times spent together laying together across the bed or on the floor when stroking the head of a sleeping dog and this old man is suddenly 'in touch' with that little boy inside.

I always viewed my pups as 'God Winks.'

No comments:

Post a Comment