Monday, May 25, 2020

Lookin' Back

With 81-years in my rear view mirror, I've come to realize that I've learned a few things and appreciate even more things. I could have avoided some sleepless nights had I know back then that most of the things I worried about never were going to happen. I learned that stock market analyst and meteorologist have one thing in common; they are often wrong predicting.

I learned that you won't accomplish anything noteworthy if you don't take chances. As a young boy, I learned success can win you false friends but likely true enemies. (I'm not sure why, I just felt it).
With hindsight, I learned that many of the things I accomplished actually could have been done better or sooner. (My dad once told me after I had scored 30 points in a high school basketball game, "Boy you do know that you're not the first one to do that and won't be the last.") I learned in that moment I had better be humble.

I've learned you can't be sure who you can trust. I've learned that the combination of sweat and dirt in a baseball glove releases a wonderful aroma years later. I've learned if your job is your passion then you'll never work a day in your life. I've learned you can't control everything but you can control your response to anything.

I've learned that no matter gender, age, color, politics or religious persuasion, we all need the same things, namely love, hope, opportunities and freedom to pursue. I've learned that I enjoy seeing a sermon rather than hearing one. I've learned that watching a young child do hand motions to the words of 'Itsy Bisty Spider,' that I just saw and heard the greatest 'Love Song.' I've learned that foods, which are white and taste good are bad for me.

I've learned that it's easier coaching the other guy's team as it is raising somebody else's children. I've learned that America ranks below many nations in education because America does not value education as much as many other nations. I've learned we Americans 'get off' chanting USA at Olympic venues because in somethings it's important to be Number 1. I've learned that it's more important to 'get it right' than to 'be right.' I've learned the older I become the more the back of my hands look like my father's hands.

I've learned that my adult children grew to be loving, positive, successful and caring people due to me...because I provided the necessary ingredient marrying the girl who would become their mother.


No comments:

Post a Comment