Thursday, May 21, 2020

When Life Throws Us a Curve.

Being somewhat of a 'control freak' is not all bad just as long as you recognize that which is out-of-your-control. Every leader that I've observed has control tendencies. Leaders tend to believe they can make things happen if they are afforded opportunity, allowed to apply their abilities and have control of the charge. All leaders must 'have or take' control. That said, we sometimes face a circumstance that spins far beyond our capacity to harness, direct or change.

 Life can toss us a curve ball and we must 'adapt' to that which is out of our control by making 'adjustments,' which we can control. As a baseball pitcher, I often had umpires who were high strike zone umps, others low strike zone callers or umpires who expanded the width of the plate. Those umpiring tendencies were beyond my control therefore I 'adapted' with pitch location 'adjustments.'
Similarly, as a basketball coach, I constantly preached to my players that officiating styles, game in and game out, will be out of our control therefore be ready to adapt with defensive adjustments.

Five months ago, you and I were sailing along enjoying our daily life when suddenly we heard the term coronavirus, then daily case increases of  infection  and soon a death count. We were inundated with a lists of do's and don't's if we wanted to avoid the virus. I suppose the ultimate adjustment for us to find adaptation was dealing with 'shelter-in-place' or 'stay-at-home' mandates.

I've not heard any voices saying any of this has been fun but for survival we do what we must do. As many have expressed, I miss jumping in the auto and visiting my kids, grandkids and great grandchildren. I miss going out for meals, taking leisurely strolls through shopping centers, market places and watching college and pro sports.

My days remain anything but boring. I write something everyday. Sometimes it's notations for a future book or blog, other times it's just personal thoughts. I exercise by walking. I get down and dirty with yard landscaping and maintenance. I record LP records and 45's onto CD's for the joy in sending the CD to a friend or family member. I order too much stuff from Wayfair but rationalize the expenditure telling myself that during this shelter in place, I'm saving gas money, entertainment money and dinning out money.  I have come to recognize my love for peanuts, bananas, music, cooking new recipes, getting my hands dirty and taking periodic breaks sitting on a bench next to my pup, Yodie...I can do all that at home.

My kids Steve, Dawn and Pamela are wonderful as are the older grandkids who telephone frequently. Actually, my son, Steve telephones three times each day; once to see how his mom is feeling and what our plans might be for the day. He calls a second time to discuss coaching or sports in general. At least once a day, he calls to ask 'why' and 'how come' questions about President Trump and Evangelical Conservatives. My explanations answering those questions about Trump and Evangelicals usually include words i.e., greed, racism, religious bigotry, judgmental mentality, abortion-duped, white privilege, backlash to first Black President, ignorance, status frustration/anger and some words best not printed.

I must stop now and finishing transplanting some Hostas.

No comments:

Post a Comment