Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Beholden to Lou

Word came a few days ago that former University of Illinois basketball coach Lou Henson died at age 88. Without question, Lou Henson was a true gentleman in every manner. He was also somebody that helped my basketball program immensely. Let me explain. At the close of the 1984-85 basketball season, Andy Kaufmann had completed his freshmen basketball year at Jacksonville Routt Catholic high school where he led the team in scoring. The summer before his sophomore season, Kaufman attended an Illini basketball camp where he impressed the entire coaching staff and namely, Head Coach Lou Henson. Henson suggested to Andy and his father, Bill that Andy would benefit playing a larger school schedule than Routt's. The rest as the say is history. Andy enrolled at Jacksonville high school where he would lead the state in scoring three consecutive years and catapult the Crimsons to a Sweet 16 birth in 1988.

 As I recall the recruiting process of Kaufmann, I cannot help but think of Henson's style and demeanor. Lou was kind, smooth and always ready to compliment the high school mentor. I suppose many college coaches think that their targeted recruit is going to listen to their high school coach when deciding which college they would attend. That may be true in many cases but not in this coach's case. I never did attempt to influence my players in their college choice because I knew very well they'd have good days and bad days at whichever college they attended and therefore it was important that college choice was the student-athletes and not their high school coach. That said, the buttering up of the high school coach remains a factor. From 1986 to 1987, Henson and assistant, Dick Nagy became fixtures in Jacksonville. Henson would attend some JHS home games and during warm ups he'd come down to courtside to visit with me and the opposing coach...visual, very visual for fans and community. Lou and Nagy once asked what time of the school day did Andy eat lunch. After sharing that information within a couple of days Henson and Nagy ate lunch with me in the school cafeteria...visual, very visual for Andy and his JHS school mates. At the end of Andy's sophomore season, Coach Henson asked me to be on a Coaches Panel at his Illini Coaches Clinic. Chicago King's Coach Sonny Cox was the only other panelist. Sonny and I answered one question about the high school coach's approach handling communications to their players. I was paid $500.00 for that answer. I told Henson that I thought Kaufmann would make a choice between Illinois and Iowa. Before Andy made that choice, I warned Lou that he might have issues with Andy at the college level that I did not have. I suggested, "Lou, Andy never met a shot he didn't like. I can at times control his passion for offense by posting him. At the college level you cannot post a 6'5" player so easily." Lou simply shrugged off the notion. It's fair to say that Lou at times was frustrated with Andy but needed his incredible scoring ability on the floor. Andy ranks 11th on the all-time individual scoring list. Enough said! During Andy's Illini pre-season, Coach Henson brought his Illinois team to The Bowl (JHS) where they played an intra-squad game before a packed house at $5.00 per ticket. The proceeds went to the Jacksonville Crimsons' basketball program. As I said, Lou Henson was a true gentleman in every manner. May he Rest In Peace. I feel blessed that our paths intertwined during our respective journeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment