Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Can't Decide

I am often times intrigued by the apparent desire of folks to have brief summations regarding people and events. There seems to be an appetite for information as long as it will not require much of our time. We've all heard the interviewer near the close of a conversation with a celebrity ask the question: "How would you like to be remembered?" We've heard the plea, "What one word best describes you?" From a personal perspective, I try not to self-grade because it can lead to self-aggrandizing, which leads to my father's ire and even though he's gone from this earthly journey...I still wish not to anger him on the good chance we shall meet again.

As most good Christians, I do enjoy 'judging others,' therefore I shall attempt to find that one word that best describes my wife of 60-years. There is a problem. I am conflicted choosing one of two words both of which come to mind. Gerry is deeply and sincerely 'CARING' and without question, Gerry is a 'TERRIER.' Let me advance a few examples supporting each word.

If I gave readers a list of family and friends' to contact and those readers asked the question, "Tell me something about Gerry Roustio," they would quickly say, "I have received all types of greeting cards from Gerry over the years, i.e., birthday, Anniversary, sympathy or simply Thinking About You cards, she is indeed most thoughtful and caring." New neighbors soon meet Gerry who offers a kind greeting word, shares endless information and a plate of 'Brownies.' Over the years, Gerry has nurtured children, grandchildren and great grandchildren while volunteering for various church service groups.  She epitomizes 'CARING.' But wait-a-minute...

Gerry could be the poster woman for eagerness and tenacity. That creature that refuses to 'Let it Go!'
She often demonstrates a Terrier mentality...relentless in a mission. If you will, consider: Every grandchild will tell you that if Nana (Gerry) offers that second food helping your best to say "yes" on the first overture because it is non-negotiable. Should Gerry converse with family or friends and asks "How are you?" >You best be prepared to give elaborate and detailed follow-up answers because the rapid-fire questions are coming similar to those asked by a New Jersey prosecuting attorney.

Just last week, I suggested a light supper of eggs over-easy, bacon and toast and Gerry obliged. As we sat down to eat, Gerry noticed one of my eggs was perhaps more over-hard than over-easy and she asked, "You want some of my yolk?" I responded, "No, I'm fine." Within moments, she again pleaded, "Take some of my egg yolk." Again I said, "I don't want any of your egg yolk." Almost immediately after her third offer and my third rejection, I saw out of the corner of my eye a teaspoon of yellow egg yolk being dropped on my plate accompanied by a deep-throated, command-like, directive-voice, "Here take this egg yolk!"  If that ain't TERRIER, "Then grits ain't groceries, eggs Ain't poultry and Mona Lisa was a man," to quote Little Milton.

Well, there you are folks...I can't decide that one word that best defines my wife: Caring or Terrier?


No comments:

Post a Comment