Saturday, July 21, 2012

And It's Comin' Around Again

I recently heard news broadcast that the 'drive-in' theater is making a comeback. It seems that cities San Diego and Austin are leading in the return of the once popular 'outdoor' movie screens, which dotted the 1950's landscape. I believe the demise of that 'under-the-stars' movie experience was hastened by the invention of the television and the development of air-conditioning, which made easy the choice to stay home for comfortable etertainment and the in home-snacks. Perhaps the resurgence of 'going' to the movies versus staying home is found in a converse correlation; movies are better and television programs are worse.

I do recall my youth and how the drive-in movie night was a frequent Roustio-family bonding moment. On a hot and humid July evening, my parents were often seated in the front of our 1950 Bel Air Chevy, while my younger brother and I would jockey for the best rearseat positioning as we looked over shoulders. Backseat drive-in movie watchers pretended that the rearview mirror was not a distraction while viewing a cowboy-Indian shoot'em-up through a curved windshield, which made approaching Indians from either side of the screen appear undernourished and suffering from rickets.

The family drive-in movie night was carefully orchestrated by my father. We must leave early to secure the 5th row 'spot' next to the concession-restroom stand; easier to locate the automobile at night returning from a potty break or snack purchase. Arriving early allowed the kids to go down to the grass play area in front of the large screen. The play apparatus consisted of a swing-set, a twirling tub-like merry-go-around, which made kids dizzy and sick and a slide that some snotty kid sat atop holding up the line. My father usually took care of the latter problem, which created another on-going problem with the father in the Nash Rambler parked in the fourth row.

I always went to the restroom during 'coming attractions' because that's when the mosquitoes all went to the floorboard of the car to avoid the guy in the pick-up truck passing down aisles spraying that awful smelling fog-prducing repellent. The moment was always priceless when my father passed gas at some point. My brother and I laughed as we hung heads out of the car while mother never flinched; her love for the man was unwavering. Near the conclusion of the feature film, my father would start the auto and rev the engine as he began negoiating ramps to ensure beating the Nash Rambler guy to the exit as if it was icing on the victory cake...I get my competitiveness from my Dad!

During the teen years, my girlfriend (now wife) and I attended 416 movies at the French Village Drive-In and never once parked closer that the 10th row. I remember 'watching' one movie; it didn't seem right 'making-out' during the showing of The Ten Commandments!

No comments:

Post a Comment