Friday, July 13, 2012

I was born seventy-three years ago in East St. louis, Illinois, graduated from that senior high school in 1957 and picked up a couple of college degrees at Illinois State University. I married my hometown sweetheart, spent thirty-nine years coaching and teaching and attempted to co-parent three children. Those children, a boy and two girls begot a total of fifteen grandkids and for the first time I got to choose a name to be called. Given the fact that my parents named me Melvin James and many high school basketball fans chose less endearing 'handles,' I chose 'Boompa' as my grandfather's name. The name is not orgiginal but is taken from an old movie entitled, "Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation," starring, Jimmy Stewart.

My children sometimes seek advice regarding the parenting challenges but like most adult children, they often ignore my advice when it fails to coincide with opinions they already hold on the matter.
I am an admitted 'control' freak and freely give advice often putting my own spin on current events, religion, politics and parenting with a flavor of 'back-in-the-day' stories. My mission is to cause my children and grandchildren to see things 'the way they ought to be;' and that of course, is Boompa's way. My communication propaganda tool of choice is letter writing; 'Letters from Boompa.' Some letters may bring a nostalgic moment and others may cause the reader to relate or laugh or perhaps become a bit angry with my rant.

I (Boompa) have a simple philosophy: My kids need to get a clue. If they are as smart as they think is it not reasonable to conclude that parenting had something to do with with it; my letters are thus refresher notes to help. I wish not for my children to write back; at my age, I no longer gather information, I am in a total dissiminating mode.

No comments:

Post a Comment