Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Everybody Searches for Something

                                                 Everybody Searches for Something

Our extended family of three adult married children is a much diversified religious group. We count Methodists, Baptists, Non-denominationalists, and Presbyterians; throw in the midst two with Catholic educations. While many folks in Illinois are 'Looking for Lincoln,' I am happy that our family continues 'looking' for Jesus. Moreover, I trust that each family will have tolerance for different believers and provide space for those looking for Allah, Buda, Moses or even 'Waldo.'
Personally, I grew up 1940's Methodist and I note a transformation of the John Wesley founded followers. Back-in-the-day, we Methodist were 'in' Church seemingly daily. We held Sunday A.M. and P.M. services, Tuesday evening Women's Christian Temperance Union (WCTU) meetings, Wednesday night Prayer Meeting and the missionary seminars were on-going not to mention the East St. Louis wide revival meetings, ice cream socials and rummage/bake sales. As a teenage boy, my maternal grandmother, 'Mammy' told me every weekend, as I headed out, "Now remember that Jesus is coming a second time so best you not be doing anything bad should He return tonight." I suppose she thought that admonition we 'hold' me over until Sunday morning worship service.

Those revival meetings gave a young boy insight into 'his people.' We Methodist were loud singers on or off key. The traveling 'old school' evangelist preacher was determined to bring folks forward. The Methodist message in the 1940's was uniform, consistent and profound; repent or burn in hell!
Those itinerant preachers would do their revival-meetings for a nightly 'love-offering,' room and board for the revival's duration. Most Methodist ministers could go through a plate of fried chicken faster than a juicy rumor at sewing-circle. Many preachers, today appear worried that they might offend parishioners with strong-tongue 'burn-in-hell' sermons so we hear softer tone 'feel good' messages. Some of today's T.V. preachers seem more interested in my money than my eternity.

My wife and I fight about religion. I like to leave early for Sunday morning worship so I get there before all the good seats in the back are gone; she likes to sit up-front.

I must stop, my wife wishes I go get a few things at Wal Mart. I've told her there is no hurry because Wal Mart is like heaven and hell; it's open 24-hours a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment