Thursday, July 26, 2012

When Something Makes no Sense

My father often used the word, 'Bassackwards.' You cannot find the word in Webster's Dictionary but it is nevertheless found as a social condition. My dad applied the word to a situation, circumstance and or person who absolutely made NO commonsense. A keen observer will note 'Bassackwards' daily.

You remember a few years ago when the 'No Child Left Behind' became an underfunded law. It was actually an attempt to disquise positioning to use public tax dollars for private school tuition...that was 'Bassackwards!' Speaking of laws; today, one must report for their air flight an hour and a half before take off so passengers can have luggage compartments checked, go through a metal screening device and subject to a physical 'patdown' all for my safety. Another law protects me from secondhand-smoke. Explain, if you please, how can our nation allow forty percent of the country's population to purchase multiple guns, assault weapons and thousands of rounds of bullets without a background check...this logic is 'Bassackwards!'

A crazed costume attired gunman enters a crowded movie theater shooting and leaves 12 dead, 58 wounded and thousands of broken hearts. Three days later, an elected official states, "Perhaps we need to enact a law prohibiting people from wearing costumes into public gathering places."  He simply has the debate subject 'Bassackwards!'

Later this afternoon, I will gas up my automobile. I will pump the gas, check my oil and clean the windshield. I will then walk several yards to stands in a line and pay for the privilege to do the aforementioned. It's 'Bassackwards!'

Life accelerates as I age and the days get shorter...That is certainly 'Bassackwards!'

No comments:

Post a Comment