Tuesday, July 31, 2012

'Gladly would he learn and Gladly Teach' (ISU)

The 2012 school year begins in a few weeks and classrooms across this Nation will open doors to millions of students; the enthusiastic and the apprehensive. I remember vividly my own 39-year public school teaching/coaching career, which began each year with the 'jump-start' teacher orientation meeting-rally. I have been retired from that daily grind for nearly eighteen years and yet, I still miss many of the mentoring challenges.

A couple of years ago, I attended one of those elementary grandparents' visitation days and I was surprised at the classroom environment. The individual desks were nowhere in sight. Children sat around 'group tables' except those who were laying on floormats eating 'Ding-Dong' cakes. I don't recall ever eating snacks in the Woodrow Wilson East St. Louis grade school back in 1949. As I surveyed my granddaughter's learning center, I did not locate the Palmer Method Penmanship workbooks. I suppose text messaging negates any need of writing skills not to mention grammar tools. That huge times-tables chart no longer hangs from the classroom wall but every student did have a calculator at their desk and we all know that the cash register at Wal Mart 'indicates' the correct change to return. In the gym, I did not see any kid do calisthenics, exercises or run. It is  good that students don't sweat a lot in physical eudcation classes because no one takes a shower and some of those long hot fall days with thirty kids in a stuffy classroom; well you can imagine!

I just pray that my grandchildren and other children have the same excitement for each day and 'hope' for their future that my generation embraced. Many studies indicate that the teaching profession in this twenty-first century is more challenging, demanding and frustrating than ever. It is a general consensus that many of today's children are the most narcissistic, self-centered and entitled youngesters than ever before in our societal history. The teaching summon is compounded by a public that is quick to criticize educators and those political leaders who gain office and never follow through on those 'improve' education promises. One reason our Nation ranks low in achievement comparisons with other Nations is simply our lack of 'value' placed on education. What other countries encourage veteran teachers to leave the teaching profession to replace a higher salary with a lower beginning salary?

Until the day that I no longer draw breath, I will argue vehmently that 'those who teach are involved in this Nation's grandest of enterprises! I am proud of a son, daughter, daughter in-law and two granddaughters who will stand in classrooms welcoming young learners today who are our leaders tomorrow.

Romans 12:7  if your gift is serving others, serve them well; if you are a teacher, teach them well.

No comments:

Post a Comment