Friday, November 9, 2012

Enjoy While the Enjoying Is Handy

I will take a breather from the rather intensified pre-Turkey Tourney preparation pace this weekend, beginning tomorrow, as Gerry and I will shuttle back and forth from Decatur and ISU @ Normal as we attend the IHSA State volleyball final-four Championship action, which finds  our granddaughter, Erica with her Jacksonville team seeking that coveted Title.

Let me stop and explain 'Turkey Tourney.' The Decatur School District has hosted a boys'  8-team Thanksgiving  basketball tournament for the past 43 years; the last 12 years, I have had the charge to coordinate the event. This 'Turkey Tourney' is a four-day affair and represents somewhat of a 'homecoming' celebration week for many Decatur folks. Approximately 8,000 fans will attend games between some of the State's premier teams with several Division I players competing. One evening, Denver Nuggets NBA player and recent USA Gold Medalist Olympian, Andre Iguodala will be honored as a former participant at this tournament. No fewer than 54 former Turkey Tourney players went on to play Division I College basketball.

The intensified pace that I reference is a tad more so with some additional charges. I continue to assist the Decatur School District with several other sport related issues and programs. However, tomorrow and Saturday, I plan to be a 'Boompa,' aka, grandfather. I should probably 'retire' from all the work-related 'stuff' and concentrate on being a Boompa full time.  In my aging course, I note a growing lack of inpatients for many folks with whom I interact on the professional level whom I perceive as lacking in staunch courage; that's a nice phrase to describe 'spineless.' On the other hand, if I had no environmental conditions to stimulate my ire, I would likely wilt, droop and sag; no grandkid wants a droopy 'Boompa!'

GO CRIMSONS!

No comments:

Post a Comment