Wednesday, November 21, 2012

I Just Dunno

This is not a criticism but a mere observation of change, which may reflect a larger picture of society; I am not wise enough to know if the change is for the good or not so good.

In the late 1980's, I became athletics director at Jacksonville high school. The athletic 'code' at the time was all over the place with each sport having its own code. We brought all parties together and requested input to develop a 'uniform' athletic code, which would serve athletes, parents and staff with consistency. It worked during my seven year athletic director tenure. During that time the code was tested; it worked!

I left that position in 1994, and now count four athletic directors since. I have not reviewed the JHS current athletic code but suffice to say, it certainly has been modified if not undergoing wholesale changes. I know this because recently, I hear of a pathway to avoid game suspensions if upon the heels of a code violation the athlete goes to the school administration and pleads a case that could perhaps be addressed at a local rehabilitation facility should the infraction fit that category.

I believe it is noble and correct to seek re-direction help for anyone, especially youth, with addictive issues yet on the other hand I raise eyebrows when I suspect the 'busted-alcohol-party' scenario where underage drinkers are caught and some take their so-called 'medicine' while others cry some bogus personal need just to circumvent punishment.

It reminds me of the time I heard a vase break in another room and five grandkids came running towards my wife pointing fingers of blame while exonerating self! The whole thing smells of our current political landscape: "It's not if you win or lose but how you place the blame."

No comments:

Post a Comment