Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving Is An Attitude Not a Calendar Day

Well, I suppose that today, Thursday, November 22, is the specified day set aside to recognize 'thankfulness.' Oh, I know all that history about the Pilgrims, the Indians and the first so-called 'Thanksgiving' but I scratch my head over the current goofy hullabaloo surrounding this National Thanksgiving. Shall we acknowledge an American twenty-first century fact, our Thanksgivings have become a day of over-indulgence in food, football and more recently, shopping folly! I suspect many of my 'conservative' friends feel they don't need "Big government" telling  them that a certain day is when they should be aware of a thankful heart.

As for me not a day passes that I fail to offer my God spoken (aloud) words of thanksgiving for the countless blessings of health, joyous relationships, comforts and opportunities. Within my heart, as it is with most people, I desire so much for love ones, family and fellow man and yet the greatest of these wishes are beyond my weak human abilities to make them happen. When those 'gifts' appear in my life, I do not take them for granted nor believe for a moment that I deserve such blessings. I am humbled and offer my God Praise!

I prepare now to embrace my family and soak-up the goodness and healthy joy about our home this day. I will say a family prayer before we share our meal but throughout this day I shall whisper countless 'thank you words' to my Lord for incredible memories of 'this' day from my past as I hope and pray that my children and grandchildren build similar precious memories.

I hope and pray for the many unknown readers of this blog. I thank you for joining me each day and I ask God to give you tolerance because my wife and others have told me that I test one's patience and tolerance. May God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment