Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Catch Ya' on the Flip Side

As I file the checklist on the recently completed basketball tournament, which I directed, I carry a heavy heart concerning my beloved hometown, East St. Louis who participated. I get it that change creates circumstances, which does not allow me to return and casually walk down the memory lane of that city along the Mississippi River. I shall always ache for that denied homecoming. Moreover, I am saddened by the situation many residence of East St. Louis must face each day. The last day of this tournament, the East St. Louis Coach bid me farewell and shared with me that it was going to take his team a little time to adjust their play without guard, Alfonso Fifer. You see, Alfonso was in the wrong place at the right time and a gangland bullet struck and killed the young boy last summer. Oh my, may our God comfort the family.

In an attempt to avoid having a 'flat-tire' in my head or chest, I am removing myself from this typing machine, the home telephone and all other daily drudgery for the remainder of this week as Gerry and I seek a little relaxation time Ozark style! I always enjoy an Ozark (Missouri) hill country retreat. I find the local cuisine good, the entertainment slap-stick-goofy and the slower pace an invigorating stimulant. I'll catch up with you come this Saturday morning.

While away, I will give thought to a do or not to do question rolling about in my grey-matter; shall I orchestrate that infamous, year-end Christmas letter to stuff into our Christmas cards or perhaps let it go this season. Another pending decision that needs resolve is my 'New Year's resolutions.' True, I seldom, if ever, keep them but I do maintain that everyone should engage the activity of writing down on paper New Year's resolution contemplation; if for no other reason, it becomes an exercise of mental cleansing through a quasi self-confessional of our bad habits and desire to rid ourselves of undesirable addictive behaviors and become more like Mother Teresa or Billy Graham; notice how I covered two tribes...of course I have pissed off the Jews and Muslims; I'll make it up to them next time.

Another brain rattling that I should engage is the consideration of 'doing-something-good' for someone or something else! I simply have too many comforts. I am too blessed and consequently I must look for more ways or avenues to 'pay-the-good-fortunes forward.' Oh, this reminds me, I need to send the montly 'milk-money' for the fourth grader @ an un-named Elementary school. I think I'd like to adopt a dog from the shelter but this might be a tough sell to my wife.



No comments:

Post a Comment