Thursday, January 15, 2015

A "GOOD'' Thought

Those coaching years, I preached to athletes, 'Be focused and don't let your highs or lows affect your preparation; you will have good days and bad days but never let outsiders know what you are feeling.' I know, I know, it is a strong sermon and most often difficult for athletes to accomplish.
As a grandfather of athletes, I ask endless questions about their approach, preparation, thought process, etc. I would be considered one of those distracting outside elements. I guess it is a DNA thing.
One performing grandkid is so 'focused' and together in handling 'ups & downs' that he can absolutely blow my mind. Here is examples of our conversational exchange:  (his answers appear in parentheses): How are you seeing the ball coming out of the pitcher's hand? (Good). Are you keeping your weight back and trusting your hands? ((Yep). How are you doing finishing your swing? (Good).

After a three game weekend baseball series, I'll be damned if one could tell, with body language / conversation, if the lefty-speedster went 9-for-16 or 3-for-16.
The past three Eastern Illinois baseball seasons, he has batting averages of: .316; .362; and .420, which ranked 3rd, (nationally) among NCAA Division I hitters in 2014.
I am going to try not to ask questions of the boy and stay out of his head allowing him to continue practicing that whiich I preach. I will pray he stays healthy in 2015...this approach,  FOR ME, will be real 'GOOD.'

No comments:

Post a Comment