Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Facts of Life

Towards the end of most journeys comes a decision to be made by or in behalf of the elderly...what shall old folks do... when age compromises doing-it-for-yourself abilities.
I turn seventy-six, today and during my life's journey, I observed this 'twilight' decision play out many different ways within my own family. Obviously, the greatest determining factor impacting 'what shall we do with the old folks' is finances.
The plethora of independent/assisted living facilities offers Cadillac care at a Cadillac price; some oldsters can afford and others must figure out what personal finances can supplement Medicare at the nearby nursing home. And so it goes, most people live out their final days in the affordable surroundings they were accustom to throughout life.

Setting finances aside, ultimately this decision comes down to the very raw emotional aspects of determining if it's time for mom or dad to go into the 'home.' God bless my departed parents. Both my father and mother made sensible decisions concerning the matter. The incredible balance in their thinking and planning took the decision-making pressure and associated guilt feelings away from their children. My parents made significant living-arrangement changes on their own embracing personal ownership and responsibility. You guessed it, they even took care of the pre-arranged funeral and burial matters.

My parents' offered a blueprint for the journey showing us the turns and stops. I took the necessary notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment