Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Some Rewards Better a Than Others

I appreciated the times an organization acknowledged my efforts with some recognition and/or extrinsic award. Many of those awards found a mantle or wall space; I suppose many of the things which adorn our walls speak volumes about our past. Those times that I was held up for such accolades, I no doubt delighted in the moment.
Today, I glance at those 'prizes' and recall relationships that were part of the history. I do understand that one day my children will face a perplexing moment when they ask the question of one another, 'Does anyone want this?'
The truly great feel good moments have nothing to do with tangible awards, I.e., trophies, plaques and medals. Just the other day, my wife and I stopped at a interstate gas station. As we pulled into the parking area, we noticed a young man standing by an auto which had nosedived into a ditch. The lad was waiting for a tow truck. My wife discovered that the young driver had just purchased the auto two-hours earlier. When my wife walked back to the young driver and handed him a twenty-dollar bill, I cannot capture with words my heart-felt joy as I watched the young lad hug my wife. I wish I could 'hang' that moment on my wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment