Monday, August 29, 2016

Disappeared

I don't order consumer goods online and when purchasing those goods at retail stores, I refuse to use 'self checkout lanes.'  The American public that embraces those offerings, unless for disabled reasons, contributes to unemployment issues. And they encourage corporate greed, which needs little nudging.

 I understand some jobs vanish because of technology. For example, when is the last time you went bowling and had to wait for the pin-boy to set the pins? That's what I thought. My children and grandchildren would think the window place-card indicating your desired ice block size (purchase) would likely be a poorly designed eye chart. And come to think, I can't  remember the last time I saw a hiring ad for 'river ice cutters.'

I recall in the late 1940's, my family was on a first name basis with the telephone 'operator' who connected our telephone calls if the 'party line' was not busy. Perhaps today, those displaced telephone operators have found employment as tela-marketing callers.

In recent years, I am irritated by a service void. Remember when men purchased suits, trousers and coats at 'men's stores' and somebody measured lengths and used chalk and pins to note where alterations would be made? Those alterations were free / no charge. Great customer service. You will not find that service-person in the mens' clothing department. No longer is there even a seamstress available on the mall premise.

The last sport coat I purchased, I had to take to a local cleaning establishment and they passed it along to a phantom alteration gal who charged me $16.00 dollars to alter two sleeves. But that's not as sad as my recent jewelry store experience. A week ago, I priced birthstone rings for my wife at two jewelry  stores. The rings were approximately $350.00 each. When I asked how long it would take for them to size the ring, I was told, "One week and the sizing cost wil be $69.00." Sizing rings was once part of the Jewelry store purchase-deal>>> no charge. Another, included-in-the-deal-purchase has vanished. I recall when a new auto buyer could expect the dealership to supply a vehicle undercoating at no charge...no more, it's an additional $200 bucks or so.

The American greed seems to know no boundaries.
I fear the day when the clothing alteration turnaround will depend on air travel expediency from central Illinois to Taiwan.

No comments:

Post a Comment