Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Say the Words

Perched on the backyard swing after my grass cutting chores were completed, I thought of a blog I'd like to pen. I then began thinking about some words that I might use to frame my ideas. I enjoy using words. I'd be delighted if I knew more words. I do have favorite words. For example, I like the words ponder, reckon and sanctified. My 5th grade Woodrow Wilson School teacher would say, "Now, Melvin, I want you to use those words in a sentence." Okay: "If people would 'ponder' the death of Jesus, I 'reckon' they would ask forgiveness of sin and be 'sanctified.'"

I notice some words are offensive to others. I recall once, my wife was talking with a neighbor and inquired about when a mutual acquaintance (who died) was going to be "laid out." Holy crap, the other gal went into a tizzy and asked my wife to use the word 'visitation' instead of 'laid out.' Regardless, I'm guessing the degree of dead is unchanged by word usage. My oldest daughter, Dawn never liked the word, 'stink.' That word does not offend me but the odor coming from one grandson's shoes surely does 'stink.'

I do wish I had the ability to say more with fewer words. One must be cautious not to use a bunch of words attempting to blow smoke suggesting we have extensive knowledge. Here's something to 'ponder:' I read somewhere that The Lord's Prayer is 66 words. The Ten Commandments consists of 179 words. Lincoln used 286 words in The Gettysburg Address and The Declaration of Independance has 1,300 words. However, 26,911 words were needed to outline the government regulations on the sale of cabbage in the United States.

Well, I'm sure I will continue to be fascinated with words and struggle at times to make sense with them. Meanwhile, before I head back out to the swing to ponder more, I'll leave you with three words: 'I love you.' I reckon those are the words the Lord wishes us to use most often.

No comments:

Post a Comment