Monday, August 22, 2016

The Classy Athlete

The one thing that I always thought to be comical about professional wrestling is the screaming contorted facial expressions of combatants when they execute some body slam or hurtful move on their opponent. Growing up in East St. Louis, one family member's close friend was a pro wrestler and I heard all the stories and explanation regarding the carefully orchestrated wrestling matches...it's all pretend, choreographed and phony. It's entertaining but the outcomes are predetermined, okay?

Now, I know that 99.99 percent of other pro and amateur sports are pure in form and outcome. That said, I am noticing one thing, which has been borrowed from the wrestlers...our athletes all seem to be embracing the 'need' to contort their Body in some 'Hulk-like' posture and make a grimacing face as they scream aloud on the heels of a score or special physical play such as a football tackle or basketball dunk.

I am not certain when this sport-competition behavior became the norm. I recall my youth coaches and my father warning me against boasting and 'showing up' the opponent. The message back then was 'poise in defeat and humility in victory.' Seemingly, today it is not enough to be victorious but it is necessary and becoming customary to taunt or humiliate our rival.

Don't confuse my comments with pure joyous team celebration in winning. Absolutely, the winner should express happiness; I'm talking about show-off stuff, the obnoxiousness and we all know the difference. Those who don't had bad mentors.

Every generation can point to athletic-sport performance greatness. That said, I believe today's sports' performers, in general are the greatest athletes ever. We have just witnessed such in the recently completed Olympic Games. The question to embrace remains: As our athletic prowess grows is our trait of character-graciousness keeping stride.

No comments:

Post a Comment