Tuesday, November 27, 2018

A Good Reconnect

The man hired me for my first high school basketball varsity coaching position, which was in Mason City, Illinois in the year 1964. The 'man' was Superintendent, Ralph Helton. Recently, the former administrator and coach became Facebook friends. The last time I visited with Ralph was a sad ocassion when we bid farewell to a mutual wonderful friend, Gene Blessman of Mason City.

Back in 1963, I had finished my first year teaching and coaching in Assumption, Illinois where I was an assistant coach in football and basketball and head baseball coach. I longed for that coaching combination of head coach in both 'roundball' sports and that year the Mason City job came open. I applied and got an interview. I finished second and you know the old adage about 'coming close and the scoring in Horseshoes.'

As luck would have it the Mason City position came open the second consecutive year and I telephoned Superintendent Helton. He said, "If you're interested in the position, it's yours. You were our second choice the first time around and I will personally drive to Assumption with the contract for your signature. Naturally, I was excited to share the news with Gerry and inspite of the fact that she had made incredible friends those two years in Assumption, she knew this day would come and like the perfect coach's wife she was 'on board.'

Gerry told me to call Superintendent Helton to inquire what date he would be coming and who might come with him so she could have a luncheon prepared. I called Ralph with Gerry's message and he said that would not be necessary. I explained to my new superintendent that this was not a fight I was going to have and suggested he not wage it either. Ralph and his friend, Bob Ingersoll had lunch in Assumption with Mason City's new basketball / baseball coach / athletic director and the coach's wife. My three seasons in Mason City was the best break I ever had in my 39-year coaching career and I had many great breaks.

I had great talent and dedicated players in Mason City. I won a lot of ball games and Gerry made more friends...she even got the attention of a few school board members...not sure they were her friends but it was all good.

Ralph Helton, I thank you again. And this time I thank you for reaching out on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment