Thursday, November 1, 2018

Everybody's Got A Primrose Lane

A recent research study suggests that one of the best medicines for stress and depression is nostalgia. Of course, one man's nostalgia could be another man's stress. Perhaps we should therefore state that a good 'stress/depression buster' is a walk down one's OWN memory lane.

It appears that when we embrace those carefree and delightful things we experienced in our past, we actually have affectionate recall most generally. Nostalgia counteracts depression. Often times people of their own accord will seek those past experiences when they are feeling depressed. Specifically, a person might wish to watch a classic movie from the past, i.e., 'A Wonderful Life,' An Affair to Remember,' or perhaps 'Christmas Vacation.' I find my nostalgia in music. I suppose that's why I have a collection of hundreds of vinyl record albums, thousands of vinyl 45's and numerous catalogs documented music history while offering the unique trivia. When I retreat to my office/den, I actually travel way back in time, which likely helps me keep my faculties in these times.

Most often people enjoy remembering nostalgia from their youth. Nostalgia allows us to go back in time when life was 'in the moment' and predictable; there was little uncertainty. There was little pressure because there was little expectation.

On a personal note, I have always enjoyed the practice of reminiscing, which is surely the act of embracing nostalgia. Occasionally, I have been accused of 'living in the past.' I refute that accusation but I'm not offended by it. To be upset with such would ask for worry about my psychological well- being, which could stress me out and cause depression.
(Touch)
Lost In Nostalgia  

No comments:

Post a Comment