Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Folks Down Yonder

I have always been a tad bit smitten by Southern life and it's notable charm. I am not alone claiming a fascination with American Southern history. Matter-of-fact, The South is the most studied region of our Nation.

Life down yonder is different than that in the North and surely expressions in language is a poignant example. Y'all listen up, I'm 'fix'in' to explain. In The South it's....a 'pocketbook' not a purse. One uses a 'sweeper' not a vacuum. If you'ins are 'fix'in' to shop get one of them 'buggy's' not a cart. One 'might-could' go the the Derby or 'might could' go to the stock car races...'might could' is the 'option.' But I'm-a ponderin' stayin' home a fixin to watch them 'Wildcats' play Loo-uh-vul. Sumbody hand me that 'changer' or as Northerners' say: the remote.

I suppose (reckon) I got my first taste of the South when Grandpa E.V. Bennett talked a great deal about his old Kentucky home back in Beaver Dam near Central City, Kentucky. I do remember the first time I drove through Kentucky and how disappointed I was noticing that the grass NOT BLUE.

As part of a 'Snowbird' migration, I spend some time with Kentucky friends in the Deep South. Fact just this morning one of those fine Southern ladies with whom I attend Bible Study sent me a video clip Christmas jingle. It was three butts bent over passing gas to the tune of Jingle bells. Oh buddy boy, 'That's What I Like About The South.'
(Touch)
   What I Like About The South

No comments:

Post a Comment