Friday, November 30, 2018

Who Is Worthy?

There is a growing line of folks seeking a 'handout' from me. At this Christmas Season the Salvation Bell Ringers greet me at every store entrance. There is an increase of inner city panhandlers gazing at me at each intersection. There is a constant stream of return mailing-labels tugging at my heart to send back a donation...surely I have a few bucks for heart, cancer and Alzheimer's charities. Of course, I answer three or four telephone 'pleas for pennies' from Rachel who wishes to reduce my credit card debt, the police, firemen and sheriff's organizations and a number of veteran groups. For 'only' $19 a month, I can help Shriner's, St. Jude,assist wounded vets, save dogs and provide clean drinking water...that's $19 times nine Needs. As I've told my wife on numerous occasions, "Be careful writing those 'giveaway' checks, we will run out of money before there is a run out of causes."

On top of those possible 'givings,' I tithe to my Lord. Note that I said, TO MY LORD. The bulk of my tithing goes to my Church...but there might be a subtraction for a special need or cause as I determine when reacting to my inner-voice. I'm sure every Preacher reading this would be quick to quote scripture, which would point out my error in reasoning.  Some would say that inner-voice is Jesus speaking to me. I refuse to put my choice on the back of Christ.

Actually, I've had Preachers and friends suggest to me that I should not give money to those corner panhandlers. I've done research and find that 1-in4 of these beggars are vets, 80% of those collected monies go to food and other homeless people in need. I suppose 20% of the money I hand out my auto window goes towards alcohol and drugs and that's sad. Oh, some of the money I give to church and other organizations go towards 'things' that disappoint.

If you dig bottom lines. Then dig this...my money my choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment