Monday, November 19, 2018

What's Next Lord?

Excerpt from book: 'Angels on My Journey...'

It would be difficult to deny that most leaders possess a degree of personal ego, which translates into the ability to 'intentionally' take responsibility and successfully guide a process or project. That said, unbridled ego can derail the effort.

I have observed many coaches retired from successful careers only to struggle discovering the next chapter God may have for them to embrace but instead they fall victim to a lesser role of second-guesser of their successor. It is sad because it reduces their earned status.

I am grateful that I have always been able to walk away with minimal regrets regarding my tenure left behind. As an athlete, I was schooled by my father and mentors to compete with all out effort and when the game ends walk away. Those many years I coached, I often reminded my players that the greatest feeling in sport was to lay totally exhausted in the dressing room after having just won...the second greatest feeling in sport was to lay totally exhausted in the dressing room having just lost the game.

When I walked away from the coaching game I sought other meaningful challenges. I focused on staying active. Finding a cause that ultimately makes others 'feel good' has always motivated me. Jesus tells us to encourage one another and build one another up, I just feel better when I celebrate another's good fortune because I know the pain of near-misses.

For me personally, I did not come to 'know myself' in victory or defeat but in my relentless striving.

No comments:

Post a Comment