Saturday, June 22, 2019

A Bit Conflicted In Albert's Return

I have been a St. Louis Baseball Cardinals' fan for 75-years; the first five years of my life I was trying to become a cowboy as I killed or captured hundreds bad guys who had wondered into my backyard.
As began playing 'catch with' father,  my Baseball interest were destined for the sandlot. I soon hung on every word spewed over KMOX radio as I angst with Cardinals' broadcaster Harry Carey. I still do these many years.

For the eleven years Albert Pujols was wearing the birds of the bat Jersey, I stood and applauded his marvelous fetes. I put him on equal grounds with the greatest who ever played the game. Pujols produced and the Cardinals Nation gave homage. After the second of two World Series Championships, Pujols accepted an LA Angels' offer of 10-years for $254 million, which was $34 million more than St. Louis' offer. In retrospect, I think it was a great deal for Pujols and a fortunate outcome for the Cardinals even though experts call it the worst deal in MLB history suggesting LA got the short straw.

This brings us to the current weekend Cardinals-Angels series in St. Louis. I think the St. Louis fans and sports broadcaster received Albert's return with the traditional St. Louis classy fan style, which causes baseball players  pointing to St. Louis fans the 'best' fans in all of baseball. That said, I personally have a tough time with the over-the-top praise coming out of the television broadcast booth from Ricky Horton and Dan McLaughlin. I'm not sure why I feel that way but perhaps the reason is hidden in the following: April 1954 the Cardinals trade16-year veteran, Enos Slaughter to the Yankees. Slaughter hearing the news breaks down in tears saying, "This is the biggest shock in my life. Something, I never thought would happen." Two years later Slaughter hit a three run home run in  game seven of the World Series against the Dodgers as his .359 World Series batting average was remarkable the 40-year old  player.

Yes, perhaps the answer to my perception of too much praise for a deserter from my team lies in the romantic notions honed in the idealistic 1950's environment. Good cowboys wore white hats and were always pure in intention or at least that's what we were taught.

Finally, one thing for certain. Both Slaughter and Pujols left the Cardinals but only one of them
can truly say, "It's not about the money."

No comments:

Post a Comment