Sunday, June 16, 2019

The Old Fuddy Duddy

Anybody and everybody who knows me would readily say that I'm a liberal in many ways, yet I'm starting to doubt that assumption. Perhaps I'm more of a conservation, traditional prude than imagined or then just maybe societal folkways and mores have changed before my eyes. I offer this opinion blog for readers to tell me if, indeed I am wrong thinking that the traditional behavior of people has changed and the conventional customs of our community also changed drastically.

Let me state that I confess that my tongue has spoken curse words. I have not lived a sin free journey. That confessed, may I further state that I've not used foul language for public consumption. I grew up in a household that washed a young boy's mouth out with soap and grounded a teen for unacceptable language.

I had my sports heroes whom I emulated. They were my heroes. As the saying goes, "I wanna be like Mike." Those professionals demonstrated gentlemanly-like characteristics in public yet I'm sure they too were not without glowing flaws. The first surprise behavior from a pro athlete, which I observed was Boston left field, Ted Williams 'giving-the-finger' to a fan when I was perhaps 12-years old.

As a St. Louis Metropolitan product, I am naturally a St. Louis sports' fan. I was delighted for that city and its fans to see the St Louis 'Blues' capture hockey's grand prize, 'The Stanley Cup.' I was impressed with the parade celebration yesterday honoring the victorious Blues. I was saddened by some behavior demonstrated by fans and especially players. I thought it was a nice touch when players got out of autos to engage fans and sign autographs but I was terribly disappointed to observe their alcohol flaunting. I likewise found it disgusting to hear a Blues player drop the 'F-bomb' and another individual center-stage saying, "St. Louis' fans kick the shit out of other fans."

Perhaps this 80-year old fella is just out of touch with the current behavior folkways. I was even  foolish enough to think Evangelicals would not elect a presidential candidate after hearing the candidate say, "If your a celebrity you can grab a woman's pu*#y."

By Golly...I've become an old 'fuddy duddy.'
But hey, Life could be worse...I could live in one of those "shit hole" countries.

Ps. Get the kiddos to Vacation Bible School this summer; we wish for them to 'do as we say and not as we do."

No comments:

Post a Comment