Monday, June 3, 2019

I Should Share a Perspective With My Family

I've recently picked up on some subtle comments, behavior and outright requests, which cause me to think I should write some cautionary note to my adult children and grandkids. The problem is I don't know exactly how to approach the subject matter. I wish not to come off as morbid, melancholy or alarming, therefore I'm perplexed over my approach.

One of my children warns me that 'this' family member and 'that' family member are going to have difficulty with family deaths. Another comes right out with a more vivid concern...'my death.' I understand the normal journey in life creates such thoughts when loved ones grow old. I recall having those anxieties when my elder family members, i.e. grandparents and parents aged and I began witnessing their more frequent medical issues and 'slowing-down.'

Come now, we have all lost and grieved and our roles in the process change. Sooner or later, we all play each role in this theater called life. My family is no different than most others nor is yours.

If I get around to penning that letter to my family, I want them to know this:  Grieve for me briefly  upon my departure. Please know that I lived a full and glorious life. I was nurtured by parents and an extended family that gave me the best blueprint a child would need. I pursued a love of God, family and a passion for sports; the latter would develop into a educational profession on many gratifying and productive levels. I dated my high school sweetheart whom I married. We parented three wonderful children. I was blessed to be loved by blood relatives and in-laws.

I had numerous doors of opportunity opened to serve others through my coaching and speaking profession. I was given chances to travel and spread messages of hope for parents and coaches of athletes. I served large organizations in capacities to improve the youth and school sport experience. Suffice to say, I got to do all that I wanted to do because I was open to God's plan for me.

When the time comes for me to leave this life, I hope I did not leave something undone. Like most who have gone before, we all have that personal desire to see one more Christmas, another grandchild's wedding and who wouldn't want to teach a great grandchild how to serve a volleyball or hit a baseball.

Finally, I should include in my letter the name of my favorite love song because all the kids know my passion for singing and recording music. I'd tell them the greatest of all love songs is 'The Itsy-Bitsy Spider.' Say what? You don't believe so? Well, sing that song while looking into the face of a one year old child attempting to match your hand gestures...I rest my case and I shall Rest In Peace.

I will think upon this matter a bit more before writing such a letter...I suppose.
(Touch)
Greatest Love Song

No comments:

Post a Comment