Thursday, June 11, 2020

A Million To One

The year was 1953. I was a 14-year old ninth grade student at Lansdowne Junior high school in the East St. Louis educational system of Grade School (1-thru-6), Junior High (7-thru-9) and Senior High (10-thru-12). She (Gerry Bischof) was a 13-year old eighth grader at Holy Angels Catholic School.
We shared a 'Post Office" game-kiss at one of those teeny-bop house party's and our journey began.

We were told, you're too young, it's an unlikely relationship: a Catholic girl & a Protestant boy with somewhat different backgrounds. What were the odds? A million to one.

Sixty-seven years later, Gerry and I celebrate our 60th Wedding Anniversary this June 11, 2020. Our seven year courtship and sixty married years has been been richly blessed. We share family love with three adult children and their spouses, 15-grandchildren and three spouses and three (4th on the way) great-grandchildren. We have made incredible friendships as a coaching career and motivational speaking has taken us to nine different communities and across the country.

In full disclosure, I must admit that my wife, Gerry has been the most consistent and supportive anchor in our love story. Her toughness and resilience made her the perfect Coach's wife. Her personal strength and 'hands-on' approach made her a can-do loving mother and Nana. Her sincere  personality permeates with true caring kindness and becomes a magnet cultivating lasting friends.

Quick Stories underscoring Gerry's straight-forward, pull no punches and genuine persona...

1) On Meeting my parents:> I was 15-years old pitching at a summer league baseball game where the open and confident fourteen year old Gerry walked up to my parents and said, "Hi, I'm Gerry Bischof,  Moe's girlfriend."

2-On Coaching:> Gerry was seated next to Former U of I basketball coach, Bill Self at a high school tournament championship game and during a time out with 3-minutes remaining and the score tied, she leaned around Self and said to me, "Honey, I'm leaving to beat the crowd, I'll see you at home." Self couldn't believe Gerry was leaving such an exciting game and said to her, "Don't you care how  this game turns out?!" Gerry, the high school coach's wife of some thirty-nine years calmly explained, "Bill, I know how it's going to turn out. One coach's wife is going to have a great Sunday and another coach's wife Not so good a Sunday." Self turned to me and said, "That's one helluva perception!"

Gerry: You have my love and admiration...Happy 60th Anniversary. Little Girl.

Ps. Hey, Lois Siegel: Thanks for the party invitation. Who woulda thunk?!
(Touch)
A Million To One

No comments:

Post a Comment