Thursday, June 25, 2020

Leaving Coaching But Not The Game

When I accepted the Stephen Decatur High School basketball position in 1998, I did so amongst rumors that one of the three remaining high schools would close due to declining enrollments. I was told that the city's namesake school would certainly not be closed. It was announced that Stephen Decatur High would close. Why? Local Politics, my Dear Watson, local politics.

I was ready to walk away from the coaching sidelines. When I expressed these intentions to District Administrator, Elmer McPherson, he asked in a sincere and well serving manner that I stay on during the transitional year to avoid turmoil that would come in recruiting wars between MacArthur high school and Eisenhower high school seeking to entice Stephen Decatur High School players. The request was simple, I was to protect Decatur High players returning that were to attend Eisenhower thus avoiding a talent load-up with all going to MacArthur High. I agreed. That first and final year coaching Eisenhower was rather uneventful. I do recall being told that the Annual Decatur Turkey Tournament would be canceled the next year so I telephoned Lincoln Coach Neil Alexander and got the Eisenhower Panthers in their Thanksgiving Tournament for my successor the next year. Within days, I was informed that Decatur garnered enough financial help to save the Tourney one more year. I called Coach Alexander to thank him for offering to 'take us in' but looks like the Decatur folks are okay for one more year. I thought, 'Whatever!'

At the close of the 2000-2001 season, I tendered my resignation letter putting a period behind a thirty-nine year coaching career. It was a wonderful journey and one I would do over in a heartbeat. I was fortunate to have my motivational speaking engagements still viable and my wife, Gerry and I looked forward to that State and National travel. I also conducted three or four IHSA coaching certification clinics annually and that kept me engaged with the coaching profession. Leaving the gym would be fine...so I thought.

It was sometime that late spring when Superintendent Elmer McPherson telephoned asking me to come to his office for a chat. When I arrived at McPherson's office, I was surprised to see School Board Member DR Roberts was also in the mix. Get ready for the 'double-team.' The 'chat' centered around a proposal for me to assume a never before role of Decatur Turkey Tourney Coordinator. The charge? Get eight teams every year and raise local monies to cover tournament cost. My initial answer, "No Thank You." Of course, they asked me to think it over and talk to my wife and I said I would.

I told my wife about the proposal and much to my surprise she said, "Do it. But do it with your conditions." I thought about her comment. 'May conditions?' Umm, money stays in Turkey Tourney account and is spent on boys and girls basketball needs in the School District. We try to help high school coaches with additional revenues. So, I'm suggesting to the school administration that 'if I create a situation, which produces profit, I get to control the expenditures. I had a follow up meeting, offered my proposal and it was met with smiles and agreed upon. Perhaps they believed they were smiling at a fool who thought money could be made off a high school tournament.

Next: Goal: A Prestigious Tourney With Homecoming Atmosphere...19-years Running!


No comments:

Post a Comment