Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Control Your Response and Mentor

I did not enter the initial year as Decatur High's basketball coach with my head in the sand. I was born at night but it wasn't last night. The year is 1998. I had introductory contact with my team during the summer before the fall semester. Our guys played twice a week in the Lincoln Summer League. As mentioned, my team was comprised of all Black ball players. Their coach is a 58-year old totally whiteheaded White guy. I sensed during early contact that I would be tested...I could not wait. It was a fun honeymoon during the summer but things soon changed as a rigid highly intense formal practice routine began. That's when the first opportunity to establish parameters and non-negotiable expectations.

At no time in my coaching career did allow my players to run-off at the mouth in practice. I've always believed you will play as you practice and I'm convinced there will be game-slippage so keep your damn mouth shut and play hard or leave and take your trash-talking bullshit elsewhere. It took one lecture and several suicide-runs to stop the calling one another "nigger." I spell out that word once and once only because I want you to look at it and see it for what it is. I'll explain my belief: The two greatest forces in the world yesterday and today remain the same, they are Hate and Love. Not money, not power. Nothing is so strong as Hate and Love. That said, I truly believe the "N" word is one of the words, which profoundly expresses hate.  My players were never permitted to use the "N" word in my presence. I find it self-loathing and used by people with low self-esteem. I don't buy it that the use of the 'N' word between Blacks is 'just their thing.' Bullshit. It's disgusting and perpetuates self-loathing and hate. It needs to be eradicated.

The Stephen Decatur High School floor plan was perfect with the secured foyer adjacent to the gym. Athletes could wait after practice in the area for rides home out of any inclement weather.  For whatever reason, those athletes were told to avoid that area and leave the building after practice via the South end. During the fall sports seasons, I observed this rule loosely enforced if enforced at all. Come winter time, I got repeated administrative notes that my players were NOT to wait in the galleria-gym foyer. I got tired of the obvious call out of my guys after seeing what took place in the fall and asked the administration if there were also certain water fountains and restrooms my guys were not to use? The administration got my message and stopped puting notes in my mailbox about my players exiting the school after practice from the foyer.

That first season, we lost a one point game on the road against an all white school. The three game officials were white. As I entered our locker room after the game, I noticed one of my players beating the locker and screaming in anger. I approached him and spoke. He was complaining that our team was cheated because of 'color.' I would not argue the fact that close calls went the other way but I was concerned with how my player was processing. I sat him down and reviewed the game stats pointing out various missed opportunities that could have changed the outcome. Opportunities 'in our control.' I told him that regardless of racial factors when you play on the road you are looking at a six point deficit at the start. I admonished him for reaching for that 'color-crutch.' It's too easy, too convenient and too crippling. Don't do it.

Next: Heartbreak loss of a player to suspension and mentoring my players to cope with emotional racial issues.


No comments:

Post a Comment